Diversity Equity and Inclusion Internship
The Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) is an independent professional association that serves the needs of environmental scholars, educators, students, and professionals who value interdisciplinary approaches to research, teaching, and problem-solving. We’re excited to offer an internship focused on addressing diversity, equity, and inclusion within AESS. This intern will work with the AESS diversity committee on implementing DEI strategies in the AESS strategic plan. Individuals from historically marginalized groups are highly encouraged to apply.
- The intern will commit to working an average of 7 hours a week for 15 weeks from June 1 to August 31, 2023. Preference will be given to those who can commit to a second semester in the fall of 2023. Start and end dates are negotiable, as well as flexible time distribution to accommodate the student’s academic schedule and personal commitments.
- The internship is fully remote.
- The intern will report to Katherine Hasnain, co-chair of the AESS diversity committee as well as a faculty member at their home institution. The intern will participate in the AESS diversity committee and have access to mentorship from the committee members.
- Course credit is available with arrangement with the student’s academic institution. We encourage students to apply for funding from their institution or other sources. In addition, the intern will receive 1-year membership and complimentary registration to the annual AESS Conference.
The following is a list of possible projects and tasks that the intern can work on; they are neither exhaustive nor imperative. Exact responsibilities are to be negotiated between the supervisor and intern based on the supervisor’s needs and intern abilities.
- Lead the preparation of a diversity panel at the AESS conference
- Lead the preparation of a diversity roundtable at the AESS conference
- Assist with diversity programming at the AESS conference in Portland, July 9-13
- Compile resources for teaching environmental justice
- Gather case studies of DEI programs in environmental studies
- Research funding opportunities and assist with fundraising
- Be involved in the planning and execution of a webinar series
- Weekly check-in or co-work with the intern supervisor
- Attend AESS Diversity Committee monthly meetings
- Help create meeting agendas, set up meeting times, take notes, distribute notes, and follow up on action items
- The candidate must be enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program at an accredited higher education institution. International students may apply.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental issues and social justice.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects and organizing events, especially those relating to environmental and/or DEI issues.
- Because this internship is fully remote, it requires a highly motivated person who has the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- The individual will ideally be able to attend the in-person AESS conference in Portland, July 9-13. If unable to physically attend, the individual is expected to attend virtually and assist with events remotely.
Please apply by filling out this Google form. Please apply by May 15, 2023. Final consideration is May 31, 2023. If you have difficulty with the google form, please email cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to Katherine Hasnain <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Clara Fang email@example.com.